Saturday, January 29, 2011

Animal Shelter Project - Need your help!

Good morning, everyone! I'm finally ready to start posting pictures of my latest stamping project. First, a little background for you. Last year I had to put my pet to sleep, and while I was waiting in the vet's office, I noticed a donation box in the lobby, asking for help to build an animal shelter in my hometown. Recently there's been many stories on the news about animal shelters across the nation closing down, due to lack of donations with the recession. A light bulb went off in my head; I had a room full of patterned paper, cardstock, and embellishments just waiting to be used. What better way to use stuff up than to make cards to encourage donations. So I started cranking out pet-themed birthday, sympathy, thank-you and "Congratulations on your new pet" cards. I put about 40 cards in a basket with some envelopes and a sign that read: "Greeting cards $3.00 - put donation in animal shelter donation box". A few weeks later, I got a call from the vet telling me that the cards were ALMOST GONE! I did the math in my head; $3.00 x 40 cards = $120 toward the shelter. So I made 40 more cards and I was off and running. I'm telling you this story, not to toot my own horn, but to encourage you to sort through your old patterned paper & grab some stamps...each of us can make a small difference in the world, by using our stamping & scrapbooking talents to help worthy causes. So. Every day this week I will be posting different animal-themed cards, in hopes of inspiring you to pull out your animal stamps and start making a difference. Ask your vet if you can put a basket on their counter and a donation box...it's as simple as that. I have become bored with the few sets of animal stamps I own, so this month I rented a bunch of stamps from RAISINBOAT and started cranking out cards again! If you don't have animal stamps but would like to participate, I encourage you to go rent some from RAISINBOAT - get your stamping friends together and have a shelter party and crank some cards out. I will tell you this, you will feel good about doing it. And you will USE UP stuff from your CRAPFT supplies. So come with me on a little animal heart journey this week. More to follow! Hugs, Lisa.

5 comments:

Beth Norman said...

What a worthy cause. Congratulations for thinking and participating. Your cards are darling.

Donna Huisinga said...

A wonderful idea. Very inspiring.

Beth M said...

Love this idea!

Valerie said...

♥♥♥

Altered Annie said...

God Bless You Lisa, good idea!