Thursday, September 27, 2007

Halloween goes Caribbean

While working Scrapfest a few weeks ago, I ran across this Rhonna Farrer "C'est Magnifique paper at Archivers. Tonite I was inspired to use it on Halloween cards because I'm in an orangey mood. I think it works o.k. for Halloween cards...what a surprise!Sometimes I just get tired of using the same colors over and over again. So tonite Halloween goes Caribbean blue & orange, mon.
I've been experimenting with the Spellbinders Nestability Ovals that I bought from Ellen Hutson's store. The thing I really like about them is that they can be placed in the center of your paper to create frames, unlike the Marvy punches. So I set to work framing up these cards. Another fun thing to do is to run your paper through a cuttlebug embossing folder after cutting out the center. It gives it texture, and made the plain orange cardstock all matchy matchy with the Rhonna paper. I distressed the only orange paper with pumpkin pie ink to make the embossing stand out. Here's a photo of the embossing before distressing it. I still love this pumpkin-in-the-cemetary image from the Stampin Up set "Spooktacular Greetings". The witchy legs are from Stampendous, and the black cat image is from a new westrim set called "Halloween Boogie". Another look that I LOVE is faux stitching and doodling around the outside of your images. Since I'm doodling challenged, I love that you can use the spellbinder die as a template for your stitching or doodling. Just leave your paper in the die and trace, stitch or doodle following the template edge.

So that's what I know for tonite, other than the fact that it's the SEASON PREMIERE of GREY'S anatomy! GOTTA GO! :)

11 comments:

Debbie said...

These are SO COOL! One of the things about your work that brings me back time after time is how skilled you are at making the totally unexpected come out looking like it was meant to be. If I saw these cards in the store, I'd be thinking they were just so cute and not same old, same old. But if you just laid the papers and cs there and a bunch of stamps, I'd never think to pull out the Halloween ones. Thanks for sharing your talent with the rest of us!

Charmingdesigns said...

Now that a color combo that I like!! Laurie

Stampindamour said...

FABULOUS as always!!! :0)

-pamela

Michele Kovack said...

What a great idea using the Spellbinders! Ugh! I missed Grey's! Was at Yoga with Cortney!

Alhambra Club said...

These cards are great, love your color combo and that pumpkin in the cemetary stamp is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

That's a great tip for faux stitching! I think those colors are great for Halloween, a nice change from the usual orange and purple.

Jenn said...

Zappy ROCKS!! You are so smart!!! I can't wait to get my dies!!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I love, love, love your cards, Lisa. Orange is my fav colour, and CC is such a fav I purchased six packs before retirement. I would have never thought of pairing the two colours up. It is something I must try.

Heather McNally and Melissa MacDonald said...

Z- I LOVE these colors for Halloween! You are just so gooooooooooood! These cards are fun! And the DOODLING with the dies - BRILLIANT!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to leave a comment and tell you how much I enjoyed my visit to your blog and compliment you all the great Halloween things you have made. Love the layout of your site. Diane

Scrappy Moments said...

So Cool , I love the Blue and Island look with orange, Great Blog, so glad I visited :)

Angie
www.scrapnmomsmoments.blogspot.com