Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Mushroom Story.

So I have to tell you guys this story. I meant to tell it a few weeks ago and then got sidetracked cranking out cards. We closed the family cabin 2 weekends ago, and as I was packing up to go to the cabin, my Mom called and said ..."Hey, bring your camera, ok?" I asked why she wanted it and she said, "Because there is this mushroom that's really cool". I said, "Mom, why do you want a photo of a mushroom?". She says, "Well I thought you might want it for your blog". I said, "Mom, why would I want to put a photo of a mushroom on my blog, it's a cardmaker's blog?!" She said "Just bring the camera, it's really cool". So I get to the cabin, and check out the freakin mushroom...it is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in my life! It looks like it's been spritzed with orange GLIMMER MIST! WTH?!!! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT KIND OF A MUSHROOM THIS IS?! It was growing next to the house...Mom picked it up and moved it into an old log to make it look a little more picturesque! So my Mom goes for a walk & my sister and I are discussing why I'd want to put a mushroom photo on my blog, and she says, "Well take some pictures of it next to some cards and it will make sense then." So here you have it, mushrooms and crafts. I made these little boxes that weekend at the cabin for my Mom's bridge club...they hold a deck of playing cards. The boxes are such a steal, from Oriental trading: $4.95 for 12 of them! I covered them in different shabby papers and stamped crowns on them from the Crafty Secrets "Birdnotes" set. The image is from Crafty's "Wacky and Wonderful" booklet.


So if anyone has any info on this mushroom, please email me! Have you ever seen a mushroom like this?!!! Happy Sunday! L.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Your mom is right! That is one COOL looking mushroom! Looks like something out of a fairy tale. Glad she talked you into taking your camera!

Charmingdesigns said...

that is toooo funny! Love it! I need to go check out those boxes! Laurie

Kelly L said...

Wow, that is a really COOL looking mushroom, but sorry I have no clue what kind nor have I ever seen one like it. I thought it looked like the glitter mists too! LOL

Michele Kovack said...

You are so freaking funny! I don't have a clue about any kind of plant much less a mushroom! It is pretty cool though!

Erika H. said...

Of course your blog readers want to see a photo of a cool mushroom! I have no clue what kind it is...but it is shimmery and pretty. Love your blog!

Pegg S said...

Your Mom is too cute!! Love that story. It looks like a Super Mario Brothers mushroom!

JanTink said...

That is an Amanita Flavoconia mushroom, VERY poisonous, so don't eat it!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jan except I believe it might be an Amanita muscaria, commonly known as the fly agaric or fly Amanita. It is a poisonous and psychoactive basidiomycete fungus (mushroom), one of many in the genus Amanita. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

Mary said...

Loved your story about the mushroom and your boxes came out very pretty. I wish I could tell you what type of mushroom that is becuase I have had these growing on my property for the past 2 years. I would love to know more about them too. Thanks for sharing.

Mary

Debbi T said...

Amanita muscaria.....poisonous, but also hallucingenic.....apparently (not that I'd know!) you scrape the dots off and dry them or something....they're SUPER beautiful! We have them here too!

Lyrical Stamper said...

This mushroom really brings out your BLOG. Love it. I think it was really neat to see. Thanks for sharing.
-Mary Lou

Erin said...

that's a beautiful mushroom! :)

apparently you shouldn't eat it though. :(

Cindy Lyles said...

LZ not only are you one kewl chickie, but you got some kewl schrooms too :) Love ya!!!!

Anonymous said...

that is definitely an amanita. possibly a muscaria variation (most likely). were it identified as a true muscaria, one would not want to eat it fresh as it would be very toxic. dried in the right way, the whole caps are consumed for "hallucinogenic" effects, though these should not be confused with psilocybes of lore that are referred to as "magic mushrooms". not the same experience. not the same thing. but as far as the comment about fairytales goes, there's a reason for the association. amanitas have been depicted and used symbolically in more fairy tales than not. i would not recommend consuming amanitas even if one is into that sort of thing. too easy to misidentify, and generally not worth the risk.